Prof. Tor E. Svensen
- Expertise : Naval Architect
- Qualifications : BSc PhD FRINA
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tor E. Svensen is currently Honorary Professor at the University of Strathclyde and he is also an independent advisor in the maritime industry. Prior to this he was, until 2016, Group Executive Vice President of DNV GL and CEO of DNV GL Maritime, the world’s largest classification society. In this role, he was responsible for merging these two large classification societies and establishing the framework for a new strategy, new rules and a new global organisation with 5000 staff and a turnover of over 1 billion Euros.
- Tor’s previous experience includes:
- Joined DNV in 1993 as Head of Section for Environmental Loads
- Regional Manager DNV, based in Singapore responsible for all DNV activities in South East Asia
- Technical Director DNV
- Chief Operating Officer DNV Maritime, with responsibility for Classification and all other DNV maritime activities worldwide
- President and Deputy CEO of DNV
- President of DNV Maritime and Oil & Gas
In the period 2007-2008, he was also Chairman of IACS, the International Association of Classification Societies and in the period 2005 to 2013 Chairman of the Board of DNV Petroleum Services. Earlier in his career he held various technical and management positions in BSRA/BMT, MacGregor Navire and The Norwegian Maritime Research Institute (MARINTEK).
Tor graduated from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1978 with a degree in Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding, subsequently receiving a PhD from the same university in 1983. He has served on various government and industry advisory committees.